Friday, March 5, 2010

Even if it's just once everyday!


I remember a school assembly that was conducted by our principal. She started it with a question.."how many of you have made someone smile in the whole week that has passed...does anyone remember??There was complete silence in the assembly hall, since all of us were busy remembering when we actually made someone smile but the mind went blank...totally...completely.
How important is it to do something good for someone even if it's a small little deed like making someone smile...very important..in fact if all of us strive to make someone smile everyday the world would be a better place since there would be someone or the other to spread the cheer and lift our spirits!
A smile is contagious, most of us must have observed that when someone smiles at us..even if it's a stranger, it brings a smile on our face..it sure does.
I still remember that the question wasn't left confined to the school assembly, it was brought to the class. We were asked to list a number of incidents when we made someone smile, then on the next page we were asked to list a number of things that can be done to make someone smile..when the list was ready our class teacher asked us to reflect on the first list and if we feel that it isn't sufficient we should paste the second list on the first one..i.e. we had to paste the list of things that can be done to make someone smile on the one that had the list of the number of times we made someone smile....the first list was highly insufficient and hence was taken over by the second one...Thus our teacher announced, now you have an important list in your hand...the ways to make someone smile ....."Make a fresh Beginning!"...from now on it's your duty to follow it everyday "religiously"...the word religious emphasized the fact as to how important it was to at least attempt to do a good deed everyday...
That day I went home, hugged by mom and promised to be an obedient kid...it did bring a smile on her face..even though being a mother, she knew that time keeps changing ;)
There were many things that were taught to us when we were kids...That day, in the school assembly those lines got registered somewhere deep within.. and still reside in my mind's eye, so much that today I do make a conscious attempt to bring a smile on someones face...if nothing else the thought makes my day :)

I read the following poem while surfing the net and thought should share...it's very meaningful!

SMILE FOR YOU
Smiling is infectious; you catch it like the flu,
When someone smiled at me today, I started smiling too.
I passed around the corner and someone saw my grin,
When he smiled I realized I'd passed it on to him.
I thought about that smile then I realized its worth,
A single smile, just like mine could travel round the earth.
So, if you feel a smile begin, don't leave it undetected.
Let's start an epidemic quick, and get the world infected!
Anonymous

13 comments:

KParthasarathi said...

I am all smiles.Thank you Sana.There need be no special attempt to make one smile.If we are pleasant in approach,soft in speech,considerate in thinking and generous in giving and frugal in expecting, we would witness nothing but sincere smiles all day long.Thank you

Jayant Post said...

really sana, its such a wonderful reading you always... the feelings you have scribbled need to be understood and implemented by everyone in their daily life... really a smile can make hardest of things possible... a very inspiring post and it meant a lot to me... thank you...

Zayida Muhammed said...

Smile is the best thing we can lend someone free of cost!...and this world is such a beautiful place..so keep smiling alwayzzz...:):)

Margaret Cloud said...

This is a very good post, you made me smile as I read it. The reason for my smile, I started a few years ago when I worked for Meijers, one of the rules in training was to greet each customer with a smile. I did this but you know hardly any of my co-workers did, they always looked the other way. From that day on to this day, no matter where I am I smile and even say hello, some smile back but most look at me and pass on by.Thanks for posting this, it would be nice to know that my smile at least was passed on. Have a nice weekend and thanks for coming by.

Rizal Affif said...

Indeed. Smile is contagious. Once I smiled to a bus driver, he had a bad day but then he smiled too! Now I realize that a smile--a simple smile--has the power to spread happiness. Thank you for reminding, Sana :)

Unknown said...

that was an insightful incident...
If I am not wrong, I do remember reading your own post abt spreading a smile... :)
nothing beats a smile... Your headmistress and your teacher did a profound thing that day...
And yes I am smiling now :)
Thanks for the post and for the poem as well... :)

A New Beginning said...

Hello Gp, nice to see you here. I totally agree with you..but sometimes we are so engrossed in our own selves that we forget to look at others...thats when a sincere attempt comes in handy :)

Hey Jayant, thanks a lot..yup hardest but worth a try :)

Hey Zayida!Same to you..keep that lovely smile intact :)

Hey I just caught your smile Margaret :) and I wish you keep smiling always..thats a great deed you do..A smile is very contagious:)...May life shine on you with its soft rays. Amen

Hi Rizal!Glad to see you here...you definately made the drivers day :)Keep smiling and spread the cheer!!

Hi Issam!Thanks for all those smilies :) If my posts makes even a single person smile it'll be great!Keep smiling :)

Princess said...

yes dear smile is contagious and easily spreads the joy that was missing in many faces we see daily :D

lovely post.

Margaret Cloud said...

Thanks for coming by an leaving a nice comment. This poem caught my eye and it was so right to pass on. I meant to tell you I love your monkey's, my granddaughter collects them.

A New Beginning said...

Hay Aiz,
Thanks!Keep Smiling always :)

Hey Margaret..is that so...from now on this cute monkey pic is for your granddaughter..do take a printout or any other way you want :)Happy Womans day and have a great week ahead!

Anya said...

Hi Sana
Very lovely post :)))
We all need fun and a big ^___^

:)
:)

greetings Anya

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

love those cute moneys

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/04/04/easter-sunday-awards-to-fill-your-basket/

Happy Belated Easter!
have fun for free stuff.