Monday, January 10, 2011

“Judicious praise is to children what the sun is to flowers”


Once I was strolling in the by lanes of Daryaganj, a place full of the best known publishing houses. With creativity in my arms, my art files and folders, I strolled through the thick fog and crisp winter chill. I stopped by an old building and tried to recognise it, yes, this is the publisher I came to as a little girl, with rough sketches that weren't up to the mark. Now, as a final year arts student, I was hoping for the best to come my way.
I entered the door and furnished the guard with all the answers for which he raised innumerable questions."Is she still working here",I thought, I wished to meet her again. A flash back ran through my minds eye. Nearly eight years back, I had come to the same place with my sketches and my father holding my hand. I wanted to see them in a book and one of my friends told me , that to get my pictures in the book, I need to meet a publisher. My father knew that I was an artist in the making and therefore he never discouraged me, and brought me to the gate of the world, I had always dreamt of entering. As we entered the building, we were directed to the room of some Miss Komal, whom we had to meet to discuss my work.
Any other publisher would have laughed at my work, but she looked at it with a lot of interest. Finally she smiled, looked up and said," You know child, you're a great artist in the making, but like every diamond needs to be polished, you too need a little more practise in your work, your work would sparkle like a precious jewel in a few years time and then you can come to me, for I'd be waiting to publish it ".
That day my work wasn't accepted, but I came back with such words of encouragement, that gave me a new direction, towards achieving my aims.
Today as an artist, I have come back to the same place, convinced about the fact that I would make a place of my own in this world. I didn't meet Ms. Komal, but after submitting my work , I was contacted in a weeks time...My work was appreciated and was finalised for the next children's book, I was also offered the post of the art editor.

Encouragement plays a very important role in our life...never discourage anyone, for you never know when people achieve what seems to be "impossible".

“A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success”


The picture is courtesy google and this is a pure work of fiction.

9 comments:

Whirlwind said...

Very true. Words of encouragement are a powerful tool and have a long lasting impact on others'.

dr.antony said...

Beautifully written post.You have a way with words!

Parents frequently steer their children in directions where they originally had aspirations. If a child is successful, then the parent may in some way feel more self esteem. These achievements can be fleeting and deceptive.
The parents own life may be filled with missed opportunities and failure. By coaching and leading the child, parents quietly take credit for successes.

It is important to assess motivation and to encourage children with the right altitude.For those who really want to excel, it is important to allow these children the freedom to explore. The child will need to take responsibility to build passion, deal with adversity, and make adjustments to get better. Parents can encourage, but should not push their own desires.

Margaret Cloud said...

You are right about encouraging a person to go on to reach their goals. Is the picture one of you drawings? I am glad you achieved your goal. Thank you for coming by. Have a nice weekend.

Amrit said...

@Sana,

Completely agree with you. In the USA, that is the way children are raised...as far as I know.

Also I know for sure you are a wonderful artist and a very good writer - that is not encouragement. That is true appreciation.

Is there a link to your work? Any website that I can see.

anilkurup59 said...

A meaningful post.
What I missed in my childhood was encouragement.
And when in moments of quiet I reflect, I do feel quite sad and lost. Perhaps a life redone , I wonder.

A New Beginning said...

Friends I got the sketch from google search, it's not my art. Though I work with oil colours, but Im not very good at it :)

Very True Swetha!

Thanks Dr. Antony. I totally agree with your views, the freedom to explore is indeed a necessity!

Very True Margaret, not I didn't draw that picture, got it from google search!

Hi A, the two blogs is all I own :)
But Im really greatful for all your encouragement and appreciation, thanks a lot, the drawing has been taken from google search.

Yes Anil, that's sad, but now you can give all the encouragement you can to the coming generations, I'm sure they'll make you proud :)

Unknown said...

well me too these days looking for such sun
Give me some sun shine

Ellen said...

I wish that one day I would get to see here in your blog the work you submitted to that publishing house. And others more of your art work. They must all be wonderful pieces you've created. Thank you for this inspiring blog. Wish you all the best.

Meera Sundararajan said...

I am so happy that you were able to "make it"- feedback when it is constructive can make us excel!